Friday, April 11, 2008

And finally, it's Friday

Well, it's finally Friday. This week went on forever.

Yesterday, we had mass at school in honor of the science teacher, and we got these little colorful striped ribbons (they're the shape of those breast cancer ribbons). It was very sad, and the teachers were all either wiped out or in terrible moods afterwards. The day went by slowly and I had biology right after lunch. The biology room still had the flowers from the lab we had done on Friday, they were sitting on the table wilting. The sign with her name on it was still taped to the door.

We have to finish the work we were supposed to do this week by Monday. It's really distressing, I want to cry every time I touch anything related to biology now. I still have a lot of work to finish. Later yesterday, four of my friends came over to spend the night so we could go to the funeral together this morning. For the most part, we chatted about trivial things, but we couldn't go more than an hour without talking about the incident. This morning, we went to the funeral together. In the beginning it was fine, but towards the end when her family spoke about her, I couldn't force the tears back. I kept sniffing a lot during the service since I was crying and, to top that off, I have a bad cold. After we left the church, I was crying the most of my friends. I don't usually cry, so I think it scared them a bit.

After the service, we went to our old middle school in which my sister still attends. We had today off to go to the funeral, so it was about 2:30 by the time we arrived at our old school. In the car on the way there, my hands were sweating and I felt sick. For once I was nervous to visit my old school, afraid they would ask about what had happened or, to act less nosy, indirectly ask by inquiring about the little ribbons on our blazers. Sure enough, they did.

When we first got there, we greeted our former principal, who congratulated us on all being on high honors. He asked about the ribbons and I said politely "could we maybe not... talk about that?" He asked about it again a few minutes later anyway. Now, Former Principal, I know you mean well, but what exactly do you not understand about "could we not talk about that?"? One of my friends answered "it's for our science teacher" and since my old school tends to gossip quite a lot among the faculty and staff, he understood and proceeded to apologize for the loss. Two other teachers asked about the ribbons. I suggested we start telling people they were merely for decoration, but one of my friends just couldn't keep her mouth shut about the topic. It's fine, I know some people get over things by talking about them like that, but personally there is nothing I despise more right now than talking about that incident with people who don't go to my school.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

"Now, Former Principle" it's principal! durr! he sounds rude.

Vera said...

Oh yes, because you have absolutely NO idea who my former priniPAL is ;P